Copper Canyon Landscape Variance Request Update

Copper Canyon Landscaping Design is located just west of our 63rd Street entrance in the large white farmhouse that used to be Watson’s Farm.  They have been operating their landscaping business out of this home without having the proper zoning for a commercial business.  After numerous complaints and fines given by Marion County and Lawrence residents, Copper Canyon had to request a variance to change the zoning with Lawrence Zoning Board.

In 2018, the first variance meeting was scheduled which Copper Canyon failed to attend. As a result, it was continued until the next month.  This same thing went on for several months.  In March 2019, the WFHOA board agreed to meet with Copper Canyon to discuss their business’s impact on our neighborhood.  At that time, the board listened to Copper Canyon and their plans for the property. Then the board explained that there is no upkeep of the property and it is now an eyesore. The board has concerns about chemicals being stored on the property that could potentially leach into the ground, noise, smell, drainage issues, evergreen trees dying, almost half the property is now a rock driveway to accommodate the landscape business, a commercial business in a residential community, and this is bringing down our property values. We presented them with pictures to back up our claims of the following:

  • fence outlining property in need of repair and painting
  • tall weeds in flowerbeds which lined the property
  • several nice evergreen trees died and continue to die
  • replacing nice evergreens with a cheap maple tree that will provide seasonal privacy years down the road
  • improper drainage dumping water into residing neighbor’s yards
  • large equipment being stored at the property after hours
  • barn falling apart, roof caving in
  • piles of mulch and dirt being stored at the back of the property
  • chemicals stored on the property that could potentially leach into the ground
  • rocks, boulders, landscaping material being stored on the property
  • employees parking in the back

At that time, the owner was aware of our concerns and he said he would try to work on them and was looking forward to working out a solution so that we would not oppose the variance. 

After several months, there was no visible effort on part of Copper Canyon to make not one improvement. In addition, to keep not showing up for zoning board meetings and asking for a continuance, and continued with no improvements to their property, the Lawrence Zoning board denied their request in July 2019. Copper Canyon was to cease all work at this location. 

Watson Farms is not in favor of this type of business running in this area surrounding residential homes and schools. This type of commercial operation should be moved to where the property is zoned for this type of commercial work.

We are asking that residents write a letter to encourage the Lawrence Zoning Dept. to stop operating their business out of this residence.  You may email your letter to Renea Rafala at rrafala@cityoflawrence.org or call (317) 545-8787 to express your concerns that they are NOT following the zoning commissions’ denial for a variance to operate their business at this residential property.

Lawrence Trails Project

The City of Lawrence is planning to submit an application no later than November of 2019 to the Next Level Trails grant program. The funds from this grant would be used to construct a multi-use paved trail from 59th St & Lee Rd. to 63rd St. & Winona Dr. The trail design for this project originated from the City’s 2018 Bicycle and Pedestrian Masterplan, a document that can be found on the City website under the Department of Public Works.  Read more by clicking below!

Where can I get the correct color of paint for my mailbox and post?

Ace Hardware – 10941 E. 79th Street (Sunnyside/79th) has paint specifically under Watson Farms’ mailbox color which is an exterior latex, flat called Royal Fit 103 in Farm Brown. They have matched this color for us and it is on file with their paint specialists.

Spring 2020 Special from Mailbox Solutions,  a preferred vendor

Where do we get our standardized mailbox as well as post replacement?

Watson Farms’ covenants state that we have to have the same uniform mailbox and post that were installed when your home was built. In the past, some Watson Farms residents, have offered mailbox repair services. Although Owners are NOT restricted from using neighbor’s services for repairs, please note that Watson Farms HOA does NOT endorse or require you to do so.
However, the mailboxes must be the same specifications, material, and color as the current mailbox used for Watson Farms. Recently, the Watson Farms HOA provided specified product details with discounted pricing from Mailbox Solutions as a courtesy. The Watson Farms HOA is not affiliated or endorsing this company.  

Mailbox Solutions has gone through the pre-approval process and it has been confirmed they are licensed and insured as well as meets the current specs, material, and color.

If Owners are ever in doubt on the Architectural Guidelines, Covenants, Improvement Application, etc., please contact Associa or property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com or the Watson Farms HOA board at watsonfarmshoa@gmail.com or visit the Watson Farms website.

The mailbox post replacement or repair can be purchased by Mailbox Solution at (317) 460-1010.

If a street light post is out, who do I report it to?

The street light posts that are located driving into the entrance of 63rd Street are owned by Watson Farms. These light posts are repaired only by us. However, the other larger street posts that are located at the entrance of 59th and on our streets are owned by IPL. Both types of street lights should be reported to the property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com. 
When reporting the ones that are out or damaged, please be specific with street location and yellow tag numbers. Only the IPL light posts have yellow tags that are located on the post about 8 ft high. You will need to have this number so that Associa personnel can fill out the repair request form for IPL. IPL generally takes between 4-6 weeks to repair/replace bulbs. If not done by 6 weeks, report again to contact property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com.

The Watson Farms light posts do not have tag numbers and will be repaired by maintenance staff.


What ponds are open to the rest of the community for fishing etc? How do I report trespassers when on a private pond?

There are only 2 ponds that are considered open to the community. They are located at the entrance of 63rd and the one located next to the pool. Otherwise, the other retention ponds are for private use only by the residents whose property touches the embankment of the pond. If you are a resident who has a property that resides on the pond and sees others who don’t live there using the ponds you may ask them to leave or call the non-emergency LPD phone number at (317) 545-7575. Please remember that a resident may allow or give permission to a friend/family member to use the pond.

Soliciting is the neighborhood, what can you do?

If the solicitor has a license for Lawrence Township, then they may come on our property. Every resident that posts a “no soliciting” sign at their home in order to keep them from knocking on your door may ask for them to be removed by calling the LPD non-emergency phone numbers at (317) 545-7575. 
More rules can be found under Peddler’s License and Municipal Codes 4-1-2-2.5.  PEDDLERS AND SOLICITORS ENTERING UPON PRIVATE PREMISES located at: CHAPTER 2. PEDDLERS

How do I report a crime or suspicious activity in Watson Farms? How do I find out who is my block captain for our Crime Watch?

Please remember to call any emergency situation to 911 unless it is a non-emergency then call LPD (317) 545-7575.  We are currently looking for members to form Watson Farms Crime Watch.

To whom do I report my concerns about the cleanliness of the pool, bathhouses and lifeguards attentiveness?

Please use the tab “Contact Us” on the web site. This info will be forwarded to the Pool Committee and the HOA board. Be specific with times you were at the pool and who the lifeguard was. If it is an emergency, please contact Associa or property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com.

Associa was hired to manage our accounts receivable/payable as well as gather quotes (at least 3) for contracts such as landscaping, pool management, pond service, and general maintenance. In addition, they have monthly meetings with our HOA board members to give us up to date financials and keep us abreast of any concerns or ways in which we can make our neighborhood a better place. They are also a liaison for concerns that you may have about the HOA or neighborhood. You may contact Associa or our property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com or feel free to contact the board through our Contact Us tab on the web site.

Where do I report inoperable cars and cars sitting with flat tires?

Since Watson Farms cannot enforce inoperable cars on the streets, please contact the non-emergency phone number for LPD at (317) 545-7575 to report the car’s location, make, model and license plate number. The car has is considered inoperable if it hasn’t moved from its spot on the street for at least 3 days, or without a current license tag, or with a flat tire.

What are the Covenants and By-Laws of the HOA? How can they be enforced by the HOA?

These are the “rules” or ordinances of our neighborhood. They are in place to keep our neighborhood uniform as well as pleasing to the eye. These legal/registered documents were presented to the homeowner during your closing by the title company. You as a homeowner signed a form stating that you accepted them and would uphold them while owning a home in Watson Farms. If you would like copies, please go to “HOA Documents” on the web site. You can also see HOA Documents.

When do I need an application for improvement such as a fence, deck, playset?

Please refer to the Architectural Guidelines that are listed as “HOA Documents” on the web site. The guidelines will explain what is required by the association as well as the form that has to be sent in and approved before work is started.

When is the annual meeting for the HOA? How do I become a board member?

The annual meeting to discuss the financial paperwork, as well as the following years’ budget, is generally in Oct/Nov. If you would like to attend one of the monthly board member meetings to discuss an idea or concern, please use the Contact Us section of the web site. Each year, if and when the board members term is up, we elect new board members. If you are interested in being on the board please use the “Contact Us” tab on the web site. It is suggested to volunteer as a committee member first to make sure you would like to do this. We have a Welcoming Committee, Social/Pool Committee, and block captains needed for Crime Watch. You can join these by using the Contact Us tab on the web site.

How do I get my pool bands?

Pool tags or renewals are usually done in May of each year. They are distributed to the neighbors that are current with their HOA dues for the year. If you are not available to pick up your tags or would like to pay your dues, you must contact Associa or property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com.

To whom do I report abandoned homes? What if the grass needs to be cut?

Use the Contact Us section of the web site to inform us of these homes as soon as possible so we can make sure they are locked and safe. Each year a fund is put into the budget to help pay for the grass to be cut until the bank takes the house over. Please report the address so that the HOA can arrange this.

When I am having a hard time paying my dues, who should I contact?

Always contact Associa to discuss payment arrangements so you can avoid having to pay the late fee of $50 that will be charged to your account 30 days after the due date. Associa or property manager, mwaugh@cas-indiana.com can be contacted to discuss.

Why is my trash not being picked up, I’ve put my garbage toter to the curb?

Make sure you have the toter to edge of the driveway with the arrow on the lid or the bar on the front is facing the street. The lid needs to be closed without having anything stacked on top. If you moved in and need to get a toter, please contact Lawrence Street Dept. at (317) 917-7300. Our heavy trash pick up week is always the third week of the month.  If a holiday is during the week, our trash pick up will be the next day (ie holiday is a Monday then our trash will be picked up on Wed since our normal day is Tues).  Recycling is every other week.  Please see the link below to get info on extra trash or heavy items that need you’ll need to contact Republic.


Watson Farms Owners, please note the HOA Board does NOT require Owners to utilize a specific company when repairing violations. It is recommended that Owners consult with the Architectural Committee if you have any questions. Just a reminder, please review the Architectural Guidelines and seek approval via the ACC Improvement Form before services are provided.